Thursday, December 16, 2010

Layla Daily Specials: Week 3 (Age 8 weeks)

Reality has intruded and I am now sick of writing in third-person or Layla voice - so back to Pat's view as new mother.

14 Dec

I was bored of being inside today. Layla had always shown remarkable composure while outside, despite the rashes and bald head I needed to connect with the outside world. So I decided to do what tai-tais do in this part of town - go to Parkway Parade at 4pm with my mum and my daughter. What a luxury to stroll through a well-appointed mall, had coffee and cake at a cafe, looked at handbags and bras and finally ended up at the baby section to nurse Layla in the nursery area at Isetan. Looking around me, I saw more of the same - perhaps because it was school holidays, perhaps we are at the confluence of East Coast Road, Meyer Road and Mounbatten Road - all chock full of women whose husbands are fighting the corporate rat race and the maid has the housework well in hand - so air con and cappucinos it is. I felt in turns entertained, but also quite hollow - if it wasn't for the warmth of Layla against my chest, the entire exercise would have made me laugh in my own farce (pun intended). But given I had been cooped up at home for as many weeks, it was a much needed break albeit taken in a way that is not my typical style. Then again who knows what my typical style will be anymore given the little girl.

Side note: A nursery area in Isetan, very happy to see one - I doubt many malls in Singapore have them. CHanging tables in the ladies room would typically be woefully ill-appointed - cramped up next to women trying to wash their hands, seldom if at all installed in men's rooms. Glad to see there is a standalone nursery room in Isetan Parkway, as the mall bathroom is the most bacteria-infested place in the mall. This one has 3 changing stations, 2 private nursing rooms, a thermos with hot water, a jug with tepid sterile water, and a sink for washing up. Although must admit to amusement that it was necessary to include a sign by the sink that discourages people from washing their babies' bums at the sink. One would have thought it self-explanatory.

15 Dec

Stayed in today. Experimented with bathing Layla the new way with an additional variable - before she was fed. She was able to make it past head-washing and front-washing before she started to cry and wriggle. Doctor's recommendation is a total of 750ml a day - which means we are back to using more formula as supplement. Kind of ironic as my breast milk production just caught up to a total of 500ml a day. We'll just keep on going. I'm amazed at how fast she is growing - 5.2kg seems so different from the swaddled baby handed to me at the hospital - she was big then - but is sturdy and stout now. Her eyes are tracking now, and she's making sounds that mean "A Goo Goo" and "Ngg-gah" and weird squeals that always bring a smile to my face. Jo and I are slowly getting a routine in place - and we're slowly trying to build a routine for Layla as well. Wonder whether we should let nature take its course or put nurture into practice and "teach" her a routine... everyday I just keep thinking of having to go back to work and worry about what will happen to this little girl - so am fearful of a fly-by-seat-of-diaper way of bringing up baby.

16 Dec

I asked mama to come over to babysit today so I could go to the US embassy to run an errand.  First time I was out and about without baby, and it felt strange. nostalgic for when I was not yet a mother, worry for baby at home, trying to stay focused to finish as much as I can as fast as I can.  Coming home I felt such joy to see Layla again, couldn't wait to have her in my arms again. -a portent of what things will be like when I go back to work!

Layla has, to our great amusement, learned how to shout. Not the loud crying kind of shout, but the kind that is accompanied with gurgling and smiles. The kind that tells me she has discovered her vocal strength! And they are strong, like she is :) 

P.s. I know it sets a bad precedent but I love having her sleep in my arms

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home