Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Cookie vs. Fruit

Times they are a-changing. As I sit here at 7 am munching on dry toast and sipping black coffee, I was browsing the news to distract my inner urge to go for a bacon cheese sausage egg sandwich. And as if to remind me of my creeping waistline (creeping upward, not down... bloody not down), guilt trips over not going for my used-to-be-regular-3-km-run-at-sunrise flashed through my brain. My eyes were irresistibly drawn to a new article on BBC.co.uk:

Cookie Monster curbs cookie habit

Excerpt:

Each episode of the show's new series will begin with a "health tip" about healthy foods and physical activity.

A Sesame Street representative said the popular character would be "broadening his eating habits" in future.

"We are not putting him on a diet, and we would never take the position of no sugar," said Dr Rosemarie T Truglio, the show's vice president of research and education. "We're teaching him moderation."

New characters such as talking aubergines and carrots will be introduced, while guests stars such as soul singer Alicia Keys will talk about the importance of a healthy lifestyle.


I suppose it's a saving grace that Cookie will "never take the position of no sugar". Because it's already a slight shock to see Cookie being friends with aubergines and carrots (aubergines are eggplants, for my American friends). The colors don't even match, for crying out loud.. dark blue, deep purple and orangey red..

Oh Cookie Monster. Maybe by eating more vegetables and fruits you'll perservere to a ripe old age, and continue to bring many more laughs to healthy, un-obese and aubergine-munching kids in future. I'll miss your crumb-flying-growling-frenetic-eyeball-rolling-crazy cookie binges though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home